When the weather is chilly, there are many reasons to rejoice. First among these is the opportunity to start sourcing new winter running gear (like we don’t have enough already). Then there’s running in the dark, which we love. Best of all, the changing season means it’s time for big, hearty soups. Yippee! All of this adds up to happy Veggie Runners.
This hearty soup is an absolute winner. It’s quick and easy to make – a 30-minute meal that’s filling and tasty. It has a rich, deep flavour and the tamarind gives it ever such a slight sweet taste. Eat it as it is for a vegan meal or crumble on some feta for a vegetarian version. Both are delicious.
- 400g tin borlotti beans (drained)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 pepper (any colour), sliced or diced
- 1 dessertspoon tamarind paste
- 6-8 mushrooms, chopped
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- Oil for frying
- To serve: 50g feta cheese (optional)
- In a cup or small bowl, cover the tamarind paste with about 3 tablespoons of hot vegetable stock. Set aside for about 10 minutes. It won't dissolve completely but it will soften. Whisk with a fork to remove any lumps.
- Saute the onion, garlic and pepper in a little vegetable oil for about 5 minutes, until starting to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tamarind paste (with the stock it was dissolved in) and the tomato puree.
- Stir well then add the borlotti beans, vegetable stock and chopped parsley.
- Simmer for 15 minutes to let all the flavours blend together.
- Serve with crumbled feta cheese (optional) and crusty bread.