A negative split is running the second half of your run faster than the first half. As you’ll remember from my tricky marathon, I am totally rubbish at them. Until now. Knowing that these lollies are in the freezer waiting for me gives me a fantastic impetus to pick up my feet and push on a bit harder. I’ve managed two negative splits on sunny days just this week. Result.
After a work-out, there is a vital 15 minute window for eating. Hit it, and your muscles will bounce back stronger and sturdier. Miss it, and your recovery will take longer.
I designed these lollies to further aid recovery in that window after exercise. Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain, which can help to reduce inflammation in your muscles post-exercise. Add the anti-inflammatory ninja, root ginger and you’re really talking something special. I also add an effervescent multivitamin (such as Berocca) to really round off the benefits.
Don’t forget to eat something with a bit of protein in too, to aid your muscle recovery. My suggestions from the blog:
– Roasted Nut Protein Balls
– Ginger Granola with soy or greek yogurt
– Mint Chocolate Chia Protein Shake
– Vegan Nutella Cookies
or of course, our Pecan and Pear Recovery Cake
What’s your favourite thing to eat after a workout?
Lolly recipe under the cut. Leave time for infusing and freezing – about 24hrs.
5cm root ginger
2 stalks lemongrass
2x multivit tabs of your choice
Equipment needed: Ice lolly moulds and a freezer!
1. Measure the volume of your lolly moulds, then measure out a slightly larger volume of pineapple juice, and pour into a small saucepan
2. Finely chop your lemongrass and ginger, and add to your juice. Slowly bring to just below boiling point (don’t boil or you’ll lose some of your vitamins), then turn off and leave to infuse for at least a couple of hours, if not overnight.
3. Strain the mixture, then dissolve your vitamin tabs in. Once the bubbles have subsided, pour into moulds and freeze.