You know we Veggie Runners love a good protein smoothie. This vegan Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie is great for post-run repair and for helping to keep your immune system in good shape. It tastes rich and creamy, though it’s neither, and it’s lovely poured over ice cubes. A bit like Baileys but better for you. It’s a great breakfast smoothie – it will really set you up for the day – and you won’t need much to feel full and satisfied. Any spare can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days.
You can buy date syrup in Middle Eastern stores and in most big supermarkets now and it seems like you buy soya and almond milk almost anywhere now – yippee! I whizzed my smoothie up on my fantastic Froothie blender, which whipped it up all super-fluffy and light. You could probably do this with a stick blender too; it will just take longer to pummel the dates into submission.
- 2 tablespoons peanut or almond butter
- 6 dates
- 1 tablespoon date syrup
- 500ml soya or almond milk
- 250ml water
- 1 tablespoon vegan chocolate or vanilla protein powder (I used Rawlicious chocolate)
- 2 heaped teaspoons chia seeds
- As easy as ever - buzz it all in a blender then enjoy!
- Keeps for a couple of days in the fridge.