Well done on completing your marathon! Now comes the hard part… Recovering from a marathon can take days if you don’t do it properly – after my first, I had to wear slip on shoes until Wednesday because I couldn’t bend down to tie my laces… By my second, I’d learned a few lessons and felt good enough to go for a swim 2 days later. Here are some of the things I’ve learned over the years for recovering from exercise faster and for beating the dreaded DOMS. I’ve included at the bottom some of my favourite post-run foods to help you get the spring back in your step.
Right After Your Race:
- STRETCH! Force yourself to spend a good few minutes doing each of the stretches they make you do at running club, even if all you want to do is cry like a baby – or am I the only one who does this? I feel emotionally raw for about an hour after I cross the finish line. At the Macmillan lounge after the London Marathon, I cried so hard when the cheerleaders shouted my name that a steward came to see if I was ok.
- Get warm. There is a reason they give out those tin foil blankets at the finish line, and it’s not just so that we all look like jacket potatoes. Wrap yourself up fast – your sweaty body will lose heat, your muscles will tense and hold in all the waste they’ve been producing. Get yourself somewhere cosy asap.
- Get some minerals and protein. You need minerals to replace what you’ve lost, and the protein will start the journey to repair the micro-tears in your muscles.Peanut butter and jam sandwiches always go down well with me, or some chocolate soya milk. Or if you’re feeling ambitious, the recipes below are all an excellent starting point, as we designed them for tummies that aren’t quite ready for ‘proper’ food yet, but really ought to have something in them. There is always room for cake, isn’t there?
- Get your comfy shoes on, and your sweaty trainers off. We love Oofus recovery sandals. I have them in the pool slider version so I don’t even have to take my socks off to put them on. So, so chic, I am.
Later in the day:
- STRETCH some more! Pigeon pose is especially your friend today.
- Have a cold shower then a bath.
- Rest with your legs up against the wall whenever you can.
- Wear compression socks and your medal everywhere you go. The compression socks will help to push out some of the lactic acid from your tissue and the medal, well, you just ran a bloomin’ marathon – the public needs to know!
The next day:
- Tell everyone you ran a marathon, all day. It might not necessarily help with recovery, but it feels great and will help explain why you’re walking a little hobbled.
- Try to move a little – not a run, but a walk around the block will help stop you seizing up.
- Be kind to yourself and plan a couple of hours extra in bed each night for a few nights afterward.
Eat and drink the right things to recover well
- I like a beer after a marathon. However, alcohol is massively dehydrating, and that’s the last thing needed after a really long race. So I have a beer or two, but then switch to alcohol free or pay the price. Generally, I don’t fancy more than that anyway. When Mum and I did Loch Ness Marathon, we booked an extra night’s AirBnB expecting to want to go out on the town, but just ended up in our PJ’s in bed at 8pm drinking tea… You’ve just got to listen to your body!
- Have some treats! We don’t think you have to run a marathon to “earn” treats, but when you HAVE run a marathon, you DO deserve treats. Some of the recipes below are some of our fave post-race treats with good nutrition points, and as an added bonus they make for good baking projects to keep you busy while you’re going through the dreaded taper week.
1. Pecan and Pear Recovery Cake
2. Ginger and Lemongrass Recovery Lollies
3. Vegan Rosewater and Pistachio Cake
4. Chocolate Pretzel Energy Bars
I’m also a big fan of ready salted crisp and hummus sandwiches after a race, but I’ll not insult your intelligence by including a recipe for that. You can work it out.
If you’ve run a marathon before, share your tips for recovery below.
Kari @ bite-sized thoughts says
Thanks for this advice! I’m lining up for the London marathon on Sunday and it’s my first marathon. This is all helpful 🙂
Dr. George Tumanishvili says
brother thanks for sharing your knowledge
Thank you for your advice.
Robin Milford says
Recovering from my last marathon takes me a week! It was really a horrible time.
Thanks for your article. Hope that, I can recover quickly from the next marathon.
I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work.klickbazar.com
It’s Great site sir,I am regularly following your site thanks for sharing with us.electronics products
Beas Kund says
I was wondering if you could post an article sundried foods for long distance hiking.
Priya Mathur says
the amazing blog post I enjoyed a lot
We like quality budgets among famous fans, which offer three pieces, a practical double-breasted option to enhance such a business, a new skirt, or a slatted button fashion suit for evening students. Buy mens 3 piece suits online
WordPress Course in Delhi says
Thanks for posting such kind of blog post, I loved it
Sequela Store says
Get Sustainable Clothing Australia – visit – https://www.sequelastore.com.au/
The blog is so informative and interesting to read ! Thanks for sharing valuable information !
Thanks for sharing valuable information !
Properties in Electronic City Phase 1 , you will be able to secure your future in Bangalore, making sure that you are close to various multinational companies like Infosys, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS). The property sites in Electronic City Phase 1 are practical options that suit all kinds of budgets.
Brij Bhushan says
Amazing!!! I like your all information you presented in this article but i like the most is “Right After Your Race”. Thanks Dear for sharing this…
Zayne Oliver says
Very well. Keep sharing more. Please also read mine and let me know where I can improve. if you want to know about Leased Line Provider just visit the site and get amazing information.
Your writing style is great. keep up the good work. looking forward to more amazing reads. if you want to know about Bridging loan Providers just visit the site and get amazing information.
Exchange Street says
Hey, I really appreciate the information provided by you. I too would like to enlighten certain information here. So, Work directly with some of the UK’s largest insurance companies in insurance claims jobs at Exchange Street. We apply our claims industry knowledge to match you with opportunities that suit your abilities and experience. Employers are looking for a combination of technical and soft abilities and strong communication skills and a persuasive approach to settlement talks. For more information, please visit our website and write us a text.
You are looking for something quick and convenient when you want to transfer a critical patient from one place to another. Something that would make sure that the situation is being taken care of, without any delay. This is where Air Ambulances Kolkata Services come into the picture, and they seem to be the only option available when it comes to moving patients from one place to another
factory cleaning dandenong says
As a construction company we need reliable cleaners to ensure the site is safe for all employees and visitors. factory cleaning dandenong
Emma Harriet says
Your composing style is perfect. keep doing awesome. anticipating additional
Avellaneda escorts astounding peruses.
Thanksgiving cookies says
While I love the main courses (especially stuffing and gravy), I usually end up bringing a dessert. I like to make desserts that aren’t too filling since no one will have a lot of room left but I do want my desserts to be yummy and hearty. Thanksgiving cookies
Red and gold nails says
Here are our favorite manicures for inspo. These will work for the holiday season (of course), but many of these red and gold nails are beautiful for the off-months, too. Red and gold nails
This is a very nice and interesting post for me. I enjoyed reading your blog. It really is amazing. Thanks for taking this post forward. https://www.tubeviews.co/